Math 210C: rep theory
Akshay Venkatesh, MWF 1:15-2:05, 381T.
Compact Lie groups and their representation theory. Our goal is
describe the structure and classification of compact Lie groups,
and study their representation theory.
The course text is
Brocker and tom Dieck,
"Representations of compact Lie groups."
As prerequisites, you should be familiar with basics of topology of manifolds (e.g.
differential forms, submersions, etc.) and you should also be familiar
with the basics of the representation theory of finite groups.
A more detailed outline is given here.
Office hours: My office hours will be
M 12:30-1:15, W: 12:30-1:15, Friday 2-3.
My office is 383E. The CA is Arnav Tripathy, and his office hours will be Monday 5:30--8:30 in his office
Assessment: Homeworks (70%), take-home midterm (15%),
take-home final (15%). As announced in class, the final will be optional, i.e.
I'll include it if it improves your grade only.
- Homework 1, due Wednesday April 9.
- Homework 2 due Friday April 18.
- Homework 3 , due Wednesday April 30.
- Midterm, due Monday MAy 12.
- Homework 4, due Friday May 23.
- Homework 5, due Friday June 6. This homework was updated to clarify definition of "W" in question 4.
- takehome final due by 5pm on Wednesday June 11. This is optional - I'll count it only if it improves your grade.
Department of Mathematics Rm. 383-E
email: akshay at stanford math