Ravi Vakil's homepage
Winter and spring 2013: on sabbatical, partly at the American Institute of Mathematics
I am a Professor of Mathematics and the
Robert K. Packard University Fellow
at Stanford University,
and was the David Huntington Faculty Scholar.
I have received the Dean's Award for Distinguished Teaching,
a Frederick E. Terman fellowship, an
P. Sloan Research Fellowship,
a National Science Foundation CAREER grant, the presidential award PECASE,
and the Brown Faculty Fellowship.
I have received the Coxeter-James Prize from the Canadian
Mathematical Society, and
Prize from the CRM in Montréal.
(This may give you a clue that I am Canadian.)
I was the 2009 Earle Raymond Hedrick Lecturer at Mathfest, and
I am the Mathematical Association of America's Pólya Lecturer 2012-2014.
- The Department of Mathematics,
printable campus maps. The first link shows the math department.
- Some awards won by our undergraduates in 2010-11 (at some point to be updated --- they keep winning stuff).
- Along with Brian Conrad and David Hoffman, I've helped organized some public lectures at Stanford (at some point to be updated).
(You can read about the site here.)
I am a supporter of this site.
- Great writing in mathematics.
- Mathematical riddles: figure out the meanings of the following statements. (i) (ii) The number of finite sets is e. (If you can answer this, you may want to figure out the number of abelian p-groups. Terry Tao gives the answer on his blog.)
Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, Stanford CA USA 94305